Monday, April 27, 2009

A Little Sad But Thankful


I am sad tonight, but thankful for God's grace.

Last August while I was in Brasil, I was blessed with the opportunity to spend time with Milena & her mother, Magali Benasi, part of the Dosualdo family.

The Dosualdo's "adopted" my lonely 17 year old self 20+ years ago. There I was hanging out the da Silva family's window New Year's Eve 1987 and I saw Gina Dosualdo going out for her birthday. Gina saw me hanging out the window, she thought I looked lonely and she decided to get to know me. Several days later she crossed the street to visit the "gringa" in the neighborhood & we became friends. Her family wasn't affiliated with Rotary anymore, but they opened their home and their hearts to me.

I was suddenly the youngest of 7, a daughter, a sister, a cousin and an aunt in a sprawling Brasilian family of Italian descent. Gina became my sister and Milena became my "niece" (even though she was only a couple of years younger than me). Those were 8 wonderful months!

It was such a blessing to me that Milena and Magali made the effort to visit me while I was in Sao Paulo last August. We hugged and we cried and we reminisced. I am still amazed that the chocolate chip recipe I shared has been passed down to the next generation of Dosualdos! "Tia Gringa's Chocolate Chip Cookies"

I heard from Milena today that her mother passed away a few weeks ago.

I am so thankful God blessed me with those hugs and tears with Magali last summer! And I can't wait to see her again in Heaven!